Steps to Take After Becoming a Victim
What to do if you become a victim:
- Set up a folder to keep a detailed history of this crime.
- Keep a log of all your contacts and make copies of all documents.
- Contact all creditors, by phone and in writing to inform them of the problem.
- Notify the U.S. Postal inspector if your mail has been stolen or tampered with.
- Contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to report the problem. The FTC is the federal clearinghouse for complaints for victims of identity theft. The FTC helps victims by providing information to help resolve financial and other problems that could result from identity theft. Their hotline telephone number is 1-877-IDTHEFT (438-4338).
- Ask to have a “fraud alert / victim impact” statement placed in your credit file asking that creditors call you before opening any new accounts.
- Request that a copy of your credit report be sent to you.
- Call each of the three credit bureaus’ fraud units to report identity theft.
- Alert your banks to flag your accounts and contact you to confirm any unusual activity.
- Request a change of PIN and a new password.
- If you have any checks stolen or bank accounts set up fraudulently, report it to the following companies:
- National Check Fraud Service: 843-571-2143
- SCAN: 800-262-7771
- TeleCheck: 800-710-9898 or 800-927-0188
- CheckRite: 800-766-2748
- CrossCheck: 707-586-0551
- Equifax Check Systems: 800-437-5120
- International Check Services: 800-526-5380
- Contact the Social Security Administration’s Fraud Hotline at 1-800-269-0271.
- Contact the state office of the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to see if another license was issued in your name. If so, request a new license number and fill out the DMV’s complaint form to begin the fraud investigation process.
- Obtain the description of the suspect, if known.
- Obtain witness information.
- What is the financial loss to you? Attach all supporting documentation.
P.O. Box 74021
Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
Order a Report: 1-800-685-1111
Report Fraud: 1-800-525-6285
P.O. Box 949
Allen, TX 75013-0949
Order a Report: 1-888-397-3742
Report Fraud: 1-888-397-3742
P.O. Box 390
Springfield, PA 19064-0390
Order a Report: 1-800-916-8800
Report Fraud: 1-800-680-7289