The City Clerk's Office accepts claims for damages, lawsuits and subpoenas relating to City business.

The City Clerk’s Office does not accept lawsuits which names only an individual and for which the City is not named and does not accept subpoenas for individuals other than as the Custodian of Records.

When to submit a claim for damage?

A Claim for Damages can be filed if you feel that you have lost money or property as a result of any action or inaction by the City.

The procedure for filing a claim against the City of Brea is as follows:

1. To request a claim form you can either call the City Clerk’s Office at (714) 990-7756, pick up a claim form from City Hall (City Clerk's Office, 1 Civic Center Drive, 3rd Floor, Brea, CA, 92821) or email a request for a claim form via

2. Complete the form with as much information as possible including location, time of occurrence, pictures, invoices, etc.

3. After the completed claim form is received, it will be processed and written confirmation of acceptance will be provided to you.

4. Within 45 days a letter/email will be sent with the final decision as to if the City is liable for damages.

Please note:

  • Claims regarding damages at or on the 57 Freeway, Imperial Highway, or Highway 142 should be filed with CalTrans: Click Here
  • Claims regarding damages at Carbon Canyon Park should be filed with OC Parks: Click Here
  • Claims regarding buses should be filed through OCTA: Click Here
  • A claim shall be presented no later than six months after the accrual of the cause of action.
  • Any suit brought against the city for which a claim is required to be presented in accordance with § 1.12.010 of this chapter must be commenced within six (6) months after the date the claim is acted upon or deemed rejected by the city.

How to check the status of a claim?

For status on an already-filed claim for damage, email