Chief's Advisors on Public Safety (CAPS)
The Chief's Advisors on Public Safety (CAPS) is a recent addition to the Brea Police Department. CAPS is comprised of a diverse set of community members who reside or work in the City of Brea. They meet quarterly to provide input, feedback, and information regarding public safety and quality of life issues within the community to the Chief of Police. In doing so, the Group works collaboratively to further goals and initiatives congruent with the Mission, Vision, and Core Values of the Brea Police Department.
Guidelines for the Group
The following guidelines will be used in the formation and activities of the Group:
- The Brea Police Department Chief's Advisors on Public Safety will be comprised of a diverse cross-section of the community, including community members, business leaders, and other key stakeholders.
- The Group shall meet quarterly at the Brea Police Department on a day and time convenient to the majority of the members. The Group is designed to:
- Provide for member input on department policies and procedures.
- Engage in open discussion regarding trends in law enforcement such as use of force, police pursuits, and other significant police issues.
- Provide Advice & Counsel to the Chief of Police.
- The Group will have no direct input or discussions regarding specific employees or personnel issues.
- The Group acts solely in an advisory capacity and will not be involved in decision-making.
- The Group is expected to provide input on topics the Chief of Police deems appropriate and timely.
Composition of the Chief's Advisors on Public Safety
The Chief's Advisors on Public Safety is comprised of TEN individuals. Members may include representatives from the: Business Community, Service Organizations, Faith-based Organizations, Young Adults (Age 18 – 25), High School Students, Mothers of School-Aged Child(ren), Hispanic American Community, Asian-American Community, African American Community, & the Senior Community.
Group members are required to be a resident of the City of Brea and/or work at a business in the City of Brea.
The term for a member of the Chief's Advisors on Public Safety is two years. Extensions for sitting Members shall be considered on an individual basis and made solely by the Chief of Police.
The initial Chief's Advisors on Public Safety Member's term limits shall be one and two years, respectively. Half of the initial Members shall serve a one-year term to be determined at random, while the other half shall serve a two-year term. The intent of this policy is to establish the inaugural Chief's Advisors on Public Safety and promote continuity for future Groups.
Staff support for the Chief's Advisors on Public Safety is provided through the Office of the Chief of Police. The Professional Standards Lieutenant is the Police Department's liaison to the Group. In addition, the Executive Assistant to the Chief of Police serves as the Recording Secretary for the Group. Please reach out to either for further information or questions regarding CAPS.